Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Writing and impact on my day job

I am finding a new sense of creativity at work right now. Part of it is just necessity - the job demands it now, but part of it seems to be the writing I am doing at night. There are a number of really large testing problems I have struggling to understand over the last nine months now. I am now faced with the moment where we must transition to dealing with precisely those problems.

I was really intimidated during my break in December, worried that I would just freeze and not know what to do or how to do it. Instead, I found that ideas started coming to me very quickly and naturally. Problems that were really hard to figure out in Fall were second nature this week. Seemingly massive, intractable problems (how to get approximately 20 different product groups to do cohesive performance testing of capacity, impact on resources and load, reliability, page latency, etc.) began sorting themselves out in mind into smaller numbers of categories of problems that could actually be described in a much simpler way.

Maybe it was the extra vacation time forced on me by the snow, but I believe that forcing my brain to exercise by writing more often is also contributing to the flow. I really do feel very different right now than I did just one month ago.

No comments: