Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Got a reply from a reviewer, and more on sequel

Reviewers
I heard back from two reviewers. One who said their focus was more on young adult literature and not so much middle grade, but from that I got a referral from a reviewer that is interested in reading the book. I sent a copy in mail on Saturday. I was told that maybe they could manage a review by late February.

Am I nervous? A little bit. I am getting nothing but positive feedback from friends and family, but of course, that is friends and family. They are normally nice to me anyway... and given what I know about what it is like to live with me that puts their feedback in a very suspicious light. Still, no risk, no glory. Besides, with the POD self-publish thing, revisions are pretty cheap, as opposed to having to do a complete reprint of a run you did 100k books of.

Of the other reviewers I sent email to, none of them have replied back. My assumption is that blogging and book reviewing is not their day job. No worries, the list of reviewers is long. I am patient. Besides, I sort of want to see what the first reviewer says first anyway.

The Sequel
I seem to have no problem right now with writer's block. If I am having any problem, it is writing too much story. The book is about 160 pages right now and the main conflict with the primary protagonist has only barely started. Meanwhile, I am doing all these other side stories, plot devices, gag bits, back stories and character development parts. Each piece individually feels good, but I am worried the whole is getting lost in the shufle. Still, I am writing so smoothly and freely that I think I will be better off letting my mind just go with it until I finish and then go mad with the revisions.

No comments: